Active Shooter/Hostile Intruder
Watch the Run, Hide, Fight video.
Run: If you can do so safely, run.
- Evacuate away from the location of the intruder.
- Stay close to walls and avoid open-wide spaces.
- Seek safety shelter and make proper notification (call 911).
Hide: Shelter in place and secure your immediate area.
- Lock and/or block the door.
- Turn off the lights and close the blinds.
- Silence your cell phone if you are not in communication with authorities.
- Turn off any source of noise (e.g., radios, TVs).
- Keep yourself calm, quiet, and out of sight.
- Hide behind large objects (e.g., concrete walls, desks, filing cabinets).
Fight: Your life depends on it. Commit to your actions.
Report Necessary Information
- Location of the shooter.
- Number of shooters.
- Description of shooters.
- Weapons used by shooters.
- Victim information (number, types of injuries, location, etc.)
- When able, call Campus Public Safety at 5-5-5 from a university phone or 9-1-1.
Response to Law Enforcement
- Be calm and follow instructions.
- Display your hands at all times. Carry nothing!
- Avoid quick movements.
- Law enforcement's first priority is to address the threat!