How Faculty and Staff Can Help Students

As a faculty or staff member, you are in the position to recognize behavioral changes that may indicate a student is experiencing emotional distress. Your ability to recognize the signs of emotional distress and direct the student to appropriate resources is an important part of the coordinated effort to support the student’s well-being.

Signs of Distress

  • Inability to concentrate
  • Persistent worrying
  • Social isolation/withdrawal
  • Increased irritability, restlessness
  • Mood swings
  • Disheveled appearance

Available Resources

Click here to download a printable document that assists with determining what to do when faced with a distressed, disturbed, or disruptive student.

Referrals: If you believe a student could benefit from talking with one of our counselors, share your thoughts and concerns with them. Ask them if it is ok for you to call the Wellness Center at 630-844-4932 with the student in your office to help them start the process to access services. If you believe a student’s situation is urgent and it is during business hours, you can bring them to the Wellness Center for a walk-in appointment. Students can also access TimelyCare TalkNow to talk to someone.

Consultation: If you are unsure of how best to respond to a student of concern, you may benefit from a consultation with one of the counselors to explore options.

Report It Form: If you are concerned about a student’s behavior or well-being, you can submit a Report It form, which will go to the Behavior Intervention Team for follow-up. 

Life Threatening Emergencies: If you believe a student poses a danger to themselves or others, contact Campus Public Safety at 630-844-5450 or x555, or contact 911.