Need help thinking of what to pack? Residence Life has your back!
To help make this your home away from home, we have put together a list of helpful tips and "things to bring" so that you get an idea of what you might need to buy or pack!
Items to bring
- Cell phone and charger
- Only UL listed surge protector/power cords
- Laptop or computer and a USB flash drive
- Desk lamp (non halogen bulbs)
- Alarm clock and/or wall clock
- Extra-long (80 inches) twin bed sheet set, pillows, comforter, extra blankets
- Towels and washcloths
- Shower shoes (sturdier sandals that will not easily slip/slide are recommended)
- Personal toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap, medications, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.)
- Laundry basket/bag, laundry detergent (liquid or pods), fabric softener, dryer sheets, laundry money. (Laundry machines use reloadable laundry cards – no quarters. A $5 bill needs to be used for the first time purchase of the reloadable card. When reload is needed, the card machine accepts $5, $10, or $20 bills).
- Regular school supplies (backpack/laptop bag, calendar planner, pens, pencils, paper, binders, etc.)
- Clothing – Make sure to pack a variety of types of clothing for different events/situations
- Headphones/ear buds (especially beneficial late at night to help prevent disturbing roommate/floormates)
Items to think about bringing
- Small refrigerator – maximum of 4 cubic feet
- Microwave – maximum of 700 watts
- TV, cable cord, DVD/Blu-ray player
- Organizational materials (i.e. desk accessories, cork board, dry erase board, etc.)
- Room decorations – pictures, home mementos, posters, etc.
- Paint safe adhesive hanging materials – no drilling/hammering nails or push pins into walls or furniture
- Shower basket or carrying case for toiletries
- Facial tissues/Kleenex
- First aid kit/items – Band Aids, cold medicine, Asprin/Tylenol, antacids, etc.
- Umbrella and/or rain boots
- Sports/recreational equipment
- Snacks for your room
- A few dishes, cups, and utensils for eating in room
- Bottle of liquid dish soap
- Plastic storage containers/bins with tight lids for storing snacks, drinks, etc.
- Plastic storage containers/bins of different sizes for in the closet, under the bed, in/on desks, etc.
- Floor fan
- Area rug/carpet
- Cleaning products, paper towels, Swiffer items, tiny vacuum, broom, Fabreeze spray, etc.
Items to leave at home due to fire and safety precautions
- Large items and additional furniture
- Halogen lamps or neon lights
- Items with an open flame or open heating element
- Cooking appliances (700 watts or lower microwave and coffee pots are allowed)
- Multiple outlet adapters (octopus cords)
- Air conditioners
- Pets other than fish (no tank larger than 10 gallons)
- Waterbeds or bed lofts
- Your Aurora University ID serves many purposes on campus (residence hall access, meal plan, library, etc.). We recommend that you keep your ID in an ID holder/lanyard (available in the Bookstore). IDs will not operate if they are bent, broken, or punctured.
- Laundry card machines only accept bills of $5, $10, or $20. If it is a first time re-loadable card purchase, the machine will only accept a $5 bill.
- Some students will bring skate boards, long boards, or scooters to travel around campus. Students are to only use these for simple travel. Performing tricks while riding on campus is prohibited.
- All students are able to bring a vehicle to campus free of charge. Campus vehicle registration is required to park in university lots and can be completed during your check in process or at the Office of Campus Public Safety once you have arrived to campus.