To utilize your veteran benefits at AU, follow these steps:

  1. Apply for benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Details about the different types of benefits can be found on the VA's website. If you have already used part of your VA benefits at another school, you will need to contact the VA and let them know that you will now be attending Aurora University.

  2. Apply for admission to AU. You must be admitted as a degree-seeking student to utilize your benefits.

  3. Submit a copy of your DD-214 Member 4 to the Office of Financial Aid. If you have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), it is also helpful to forward a copy of that document to the Office of Financial Aid so that we can better estimate the amount of your VA benefits. If you are utilizing transferred benefits, a Certificate of Eligibility is required in place of a DD-214 to verify your benefit eligibility.

    You may submit forms to:
    Office of Financial Aid
    Eckhart Hall, Room 324
    347 S. Gladstone Avenue
    Aurora, IL 60506
    Phone: 630-844-6190
    Fax: 630-844-6191
    Secure Portal:

  4. File the FAFSA to see if you are eligible for any additional federal or state financial aid. This is strongly encouraged, but is not a requirement to process your veteran benefits.

  5. Register for your classes. We will not certify any enrollments until you are registered. It is also important to let us know if you add or drop classes, change your major, or change the type of benefit you will be receiving as this could impact your eligibility.

  6. Complete and return the Veteran Responsibility Form.

  7. Complete and return the Veteran Benefit Certification Request for EACH semester you plan on attending. These forms are available on the Financial Aid Forms page.

Please note:

Enrollment certifications at AU are submitted to the VA approximately one month prior to the start of the term or upon the completion of these steps if done after certifications have been submitted.