2 April 2020
COVID-19 Advisory 16.0
A message from Sarah Russe, Vice President for Community Relations:
Commencement is the culmination of your educational journey at Aurora University and we understand how important it is to you and your families to celebrate such a special moment together. We look forward to commemorating your academic achievements as a university community at our Commencement ceremonies later this summer.
Today we are sharing information about the changes to Honors Convocation, Cap and Gown Days, and Commencement ceremonies. Of course, these plans will be subject to local and state guidelines for public gatherings. We know that you will have many questions about these changed dates and times so we are providing some information quickly below. We have provided additional details on our websites at aurora.edu/commencement and gwc.aurora.edu/commencement.
- We will not be able to join together under the large tent on the University Quadrangle at Aurora University. We will instead gather on Sunday 2 August for several ceremonies in our newly air-conditioned Thornton Gymnasium. For George Williams College, we will celebrate on Friday 24 July in the Ferro Pavilion, the traditional site for GWC Commencement.
- You will receive four (4) guest tickets for your ceremony. There will not be a livestream opportunity in Crimi Auditorium or Perry Theatre on 2 August; however, family and friends can watch from home at aurora.edu/commencement.
- Since we will not be able to hold our Honors Convocation in April, we will notify award recipients and recognize them during the Commencement ceremonies. Gold Ivy Leaf medallions will be distributed during Cap and Gown days on 21 July and 22 July. You may wear these during graduation with your regalia.
- There will be no undergraduate rehearsal lunch, but you will receive your free Spartan T-shirt during Cap and Gown Days. The graduation survey will be sent to you via email later this summer.
- Candidates who previously applied to participate in the May ceremonies will receive an email in the next few days with information about how to register for the rescheduled graduation dates.
Cap and Gown Days
21 July and 22 July, 2020 | 10 a.m.–6 p.m. | Institute for Collaboration Atrium
At Cap and Gown Days you will receive your cap and gown and Commencement packet, which will include information about your Commencement ceremony as well as tickets for your guests.
Sunday 2 August, 2020 | 9 a.m. | Thornton Gymnasium
AU Graduate Ceremony: School of Social Work
Sunday 2 August, 2020 | Noon | Thornton Gymnasium
AU Graduate Ceremony: Dunham School of Business and Public Policy and School of Education and Human Performance
Sunday 2 August, 2020 | 3 p.m. | Thornton Gymnasium
AU Undergraduate Ceremony: BS, BSN, and BSW Degrees
Dunham School of Business and Public Policy, School of Arts and Sciences, School of Education and Human Performance, School of Nursing, and School of Social Work
Sunday 2 August, 2020 | 6 p.m. | Thornton Gymnasium
AU Undergraduate Ceremony: BA Degrees
Dunham School of Business and Public Policy, School of Arts and Sciences, and School of Education and Human Performance
Additional information for Commencement can be found at aurora.edu/commencement. Please contact email@example.com with any questions and we will be happy to respond. Or feel free to contact me at 630-844-4620 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cap and Gown Days
15 June–10 July, 2020 | 9 a.m.–4 p.m. | Weidensall Administration Building
Friday 24 July, 2020 | 6 p.m. | Ferro Pavilion
At Cap and Gown Days you will receive your cap and gown and Commencement packet, which will include information about the Commencement ceremony as well as tickets for your guests. Please contact email@example.com or call 262-245-8520 with any questions.
Additional information for the GWC commencement can be found at gwc.aurora.edu/commencement.
- 30 March 2020 – Financial matters regarding tuition, prorated room and board refunds, federal work study, and textbook buyback/rental return
- 27 March 2020 – Expanded summer courses offered remotely, undergraduates may take one summer class for free, 29 March last day to withdraw from 16-week course
- 25 March 2020 – Belongings in residence halls secure, on-campus resources available remotely, 29 March remains last day to withdraw from 16-week course
- 24 March 2020 – Remote instruction to continue through remainder of spring semester
- 19 March 2020 – University remains in active contact with state and local public health officials
- 18 March 2020 – First confirmed case of coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 17 March 2020 – All AU Campuses closing
- 16 March 2020 – Online and remote instruction begins, commencement plans could change
- 16 March 2020 – Residence halls closing
- 13 March 2020 – NACC competitions canceled, campuses remain open, food service hours updated
- 12 March 2020 – AU suspends in-person classes, moves coursework online through April 3
- 11 March 2020 – University continues monitoring developments related to coronavirus, links to additional resources
- 9 March 2020 – Travel policies, Health Services info (Aurora campus)
- 6 March 2020 – Travel precautions, medical contact information
- 3 March 2020 – Symptoms of COVID-19, illness prevention, links to CDC information, FAQs