First-Year Frequently Asked Questions

The first year of college is one of excitement, decision-making, and fun. It is very common for you to be uncertain about what to expect during your first year at AU. Below are answers to common questions students have on starting college:

Student Success

Campus Life

Health Services

Student Success

What classes are offered each semester?

The Undergraduate Course Catalog provides you with information about the requirements of all majors and minors, as well as general education requirements. Students can also find detailed information about dropping and adding courses, tuition charges, billing dates, and registration policies in the catalog. 

When will I get my class schedule?

Advisors will show all new students how to access copies of their schedules through Student Planning during their initial advising sessions.

What are general education classes?

General education classes are required for all undergraduate students to take in order to have a well-rounded education at AU. These classes teach you skills like writing, critical thinking, and communicating your ideas more effectively. General education classes supplement your major class requirements.

In the undergraduate course catalog, what does IDS stand for?

IDS stands for “Interdisciplinary Studies.” These classes focus on wellness, diversity, and career development. First-year students will learn valuable skills to help them succeed in college and their future careers.

How do I get my student ID Card? What do I do if I lost it?

All Aurora University students are required to have an ID card. All students will be provided with their ID cards when they check-in for orientation at the start of the fall semester. Students can also obtain their card from the Office of Campus Public Safety. The ID card serves the following purposes:

  • Identification as a member of the Aurora University community.
  • Dining card for meals at the AU dining locations.
  • Admittance into the main entrance of your residence hall.
  • Privilege of checking out books from the Charles B. Phillips Library.

During the school year, replacement student IDs can be made at Campus Public Safety, 1405 Prairie Street (located in the parking garage). You will need a driver's license or another photo ID as proof of identification and proof of your student ID number. Please note that a replacement fee is charged to those students who lose or damage their cards.

What kind of computer should I get?

Having a computer is not mandatory. Many students take advantage of the computer labs available on campus and in the library. It costs nothing to use computers, copiers, or printers located in the labs.

Many students find laptops to be the most convenient computers to use. Laptops give you the freedom to use your computer anywhere on campus, whether that is in your residence hall or at the Spartan Spot with a study group. WiFi connections are available across campus.

I’m struggling in a class. What can I do?

If you are struggling in any class, the first thing you should do is talk to your professor after class or schedule an appointment with them outside of class. Faculty may be able to offer guidance or recommend you to make a tutoring appointment in the Academic Support Center.

I’m not a good test-taker. What should I do?

Set up tutoring sessions in the Academic Support Center, or study with a group of classmates. You should also talk to your professors and ask them how you can better prepare for their tests.

Where do I get my books for class?

The Campus Bookstore sells course materials, school supplies, and reference books. You may visit the Bookstore's website to purchase books. If preferred, you may rent textbooks online by choosing the ― "Textbooks Rental" tab on the Bookstore’s site.

Is there someone I can go to if I have other questions?

A key component of the first-year program is academic advising. Your advisor has a keen understanding of what makes college students succeed and will be your academic mentor through your first year of college and beyond. Through your relationship with your academic advisor, you will be able to explore career options for your future. If you don't know who your advisor is, email for assistance.

Return to Top

Campus Life

What is the Welcome U schedule?

The schedule is posted here.

Is Welcome U required?

Welcome U is a required component of IDS1100 First Year Experience. It is designed to help you get acclimated to life at Aurora University and learn about resources to help you be successful. 

What ways can I get involved on campus?

Find out how to get involved on campus at the Involvement Fair, which is traditionally held on the second Thursday of the fall semester on the University Quadrangle. This is a great way to learn about student organizations and many other ways to get connected at AU.

Who should I contact if I have questions about campus life and Welcome U?

Please contact Dr. Matt Kneller, Chair of General Education ( or 630-844-5466); Dr. Amy Gray, Vice President of Student Life ( or 630-844-5467); or Brynn Speh, Dean of Student Success ( or 630-844-7861). 

Return to Top

Health Services

What is Health Services?

Health Services is a nurse-directed health clinic that provides college-specific nursing care to AU students. From the common cold to strep throat or the flu, the staff is able to test and treat a variety of conditions that are most common amongst the college student population.

How much do services cost?

Services are free for all currently enrolled AU students, with the exception of a small charge for prescription medication.

Where is Health Services?

Health Services is located at 1317 Marseillaise Place. Please contact us at 630-844-5434 or email us at for questions or information on our location. 

When can I go to Health Services?

We are open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Do I need to turn in any immunization records?

Yes! If you are taking 9 or more credit hours per 16-week semester, immunization records are required. The requirements are 2 measles, 1 mump, 1 rubella shot (may have been given as a combined MMR shot), and a tetanus/diphtheria (Td or Tdap) shot given in the past 10 years.

Do I need to turn in a physical?

No, Health Services does not require you to turn in a physical exam. However, we do require that you complete our Student Health Record.

Return to Top