Institutional Review Board
This section is designed to help you navigate ethics practices at Aurora University. Institutional Review Boards review your research proposal if you are conducting research either with human or animal subjects.
Please scan all documents into one document and send to the chair of the committee. Please include your full name and full date in the title of your document.
The representatives of the college boards are as follows:
- Austin Pickup (Chair) – School of Education and Human Performance
- Kristen Brendel – School of Social Work
- Jennifer Buckley – School of Education and Human Performance
- Jane Davis – School of Education and Human Performance
- Valerie Flynn – School of Liberal Arts
- Caleb Lewis – Dunham School of Business and Public Policy
- Dawn Livorsi – School of Social Work
- William Martin – School of Arts and Sciences
- Amber Pareja – Unaffiliated member
- Stephanie Yelton – School of Nursing
Check with your representative to determine whether your research requires IRB review.
Please see the presentation, "How to Complete an IRB Application" for details on the application process.
Please use this manual for specific questions when completing your application or additional forms.
IRB Manual (PDF)
Begin your research work by completing an online ethics tutorial.
When you bring your proposal to the university IRB, you will need to attach a certificate showing that you completed the tutorial.
To complete the tutorial visit citiprogram.org and follow the instructions bellow to create an account and select the appropriate course.
- Click the “Register Button.”
- Select Aurora University as the institutional affiliation and follow the prompts to complete your registration. Use your AU email address to register.
- On the select curriculum page, answer the questions as appropriate to add yourself to various courses.
a. For question four, select “Social and Behavioral Research Investigators” unless you are certain you are better suited for another option.
b. For question eight, select the course appropriate for your research type. Most will select “Social and Behavioral Responsible Conduct of Research.”
c. Select appropriately for any other training you are interest in. For example, you may want to learn about FERPA or Conflicts of Interest. These are not IRB required training.
- Complete the trainings and attach confirmation of your completion to your application. You must have completed an appropriate Human Subjects Research and Responsible Conduct of Research course in the last 5 years for IRB approval.
Level of Review
Human Subjects Determination Form (DOCX) - Use this document to help you determine if your study is considered research. The form is to be used as a guide, and if you have further questions or concerns, please contact your representative – see above information. If you are a student, your instructor may still require you to submit a proposal to the IRB even if regulations don't require it.
IRB Proposal Application and Sample Consent Form
Application Cover Page (DOCX) - Include this cover page (as a separate document) when you email the IRB chair. This checklist is designed to speed your application process.
IRB Application (DOCX)
Sample Consent Form (DOCX)
Elements of Informed Consent (PDF) - Please use this form to assist you in including all of the important sections of your consent form.
Use of the Waiver of Documentation of Informed Consent Form to request that your informed consent forms not require participants’ signatures. The form applies when your research either
- Puts participants at risk if they sign a consent form
- Involves a low-risk online survey where obtaining a signed informed consent is impractical
Waiver of Consent Form (DOCX)
Project Renewal Form (DOCX) - Use of the Project Renewal Form when your research project extends beyond the one-year IRB approval cycle.
Research with Children
Children under the age of 18 are considered a protected class. In order to conduct research with them, researchers need to obtain the child's assent and a parent or guardian's permission.
Sample Child Assent Form (DOCX)
(The one exception to this rule is when a teacher is conducting action research, trying out an instructional technique to see how well it works. The technique cannot involve audio or videotaping students, surveying them, or interviewing them. These research methods require parent and student permission. Action research consists of usual classroom activities.)
IRB application deadlines:
May 5, 2021
June 2, 2021
July 7, 2021
August 4, 2021
IRB meeting dates:
May 12, 2021
June 9, 2021
July 14, 2021
August 11, 2021