Why study teaching at Aurora University?
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Plus One program offers a streamlined path to your master’s degree and initial teaching licensure through day classes held on the main campus and at AU Orchard Center. This immersive program is open to students with undergraduate degrees in Biology, Chemistry, English, History, or Mathematics who aspire to become educators. Through full-time studies in AU’s MAT Plus One program, you can complete your master’s degree and be eligible to earn your secondary education teacher licensure in one year. The program begins in June and finishes the following May.
- Program length: 12-month, full-time day program
- Average class size: 15-20 students
- Tuition: View current rates.
- 33 semester hours, including 10 semester hours of student teaching
- Classes meet weekdays on campus
Experiential learning opportunities
In the MAT Plus One program at AU, you will participate in an enriching student teaching experience during your spring semester where you will put the skills and knowledge you’ve gained throughout your coursework into practice in a real-life classroom.
Prepare for your future
By successfully completing the MAT Plus One program, you will be eligible to earn your secondary education teacher licensure through the Illinois State Board of Education.
- High school teacher
- Middle school teacher
- Military base teacher
- Regional Office of Education employee
- Standardized test industry professional
- Textbook creator/salesperson
- Youth corrections teacher