Doctor of Education (EdD)
Why study in the EdD program at Aurora University?
Our program offers the pinnacle of achievement within the education field. If you are an experienced educator with a master’s degree, this is the program for you. All programs meld theory, academic study, and practice. Doctoral students are expected to conduct research in areas relevant to their practice.
We offer the following program strands:
Leadership in Adult Learning and Higher Education: Prepares professionals to step into roles as college and university administrators, professors at community college and university levels or learning leaders in corporate, nonprofit or governmental settings
Leadership in Curriculum and Instruction: Designed for educators who wish to become curriculum directors and teacher educators
Leadership in Educational Administration: Designed for professionals who wish to become superintendents or hold other top positions in school districts
EdD Advanced Standing: Designed for administrators who already hold an Illinois Superintendent Endorsement
All programs meld theory, academic study, and practice. Doctoral students are expected to conduct research in areas relevant to their practice.
- Program length: 60 semester hours, typically completed between three and six years
- Average class size: 15 students
- Location options: Main campus or Woodstock Center
- Tuition: $630 per semester hour
- The first two years are devoted to course work.
- The remaining time allows for electives, an internship, and the dissertation.
- The program uses a cohort model that offers admission on a rolling basis. The student population is typically distributed evenly across the three tracks.
Experiential learning opportunities
Internships, directed study, and independent study open doors to a multitude of experiential opportunities. All coursework directly complements and enhances your professional activities.
- K-12 school district leader
- College and university faculty member
- College and university administrator
- Instructional coach
- Curriculum director
- Educational consultant
Get hired by the best
More than half of our graduates receive a promotion within one year of finishing our program. EdD alumni are employed as leaders in schools across Illinois. Recent graduates have also gone on to higher education administration roles at the University of California Santa Cruz, Southern Illinois University, and Eastern Michigan University.