At AU, our Bachelor of Science in Biology is designed to provide a strong foundation in different aspects of science through rigorous courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics. You’ll work one-on-one with our experienced, dedicated faculty, who personally teach all of your lecture and laboratory courses. And, you’ll have opportunities to conduct student-driven research with your professors in the lab, in the field and in outreach programs.
We also offer a minor in biology and a major in health sciences for students interested in attending medical school and other healthcare professional schools.
To earn an undergraduate degree in biology, you will complete at least 120 semester hours total in general education and science courses.
Bachelor of Science in Biology
Designed for students who are interested in attending graduate programs in the life sciences, working in a laboratory environment, conducting environmental field work or working in the parks service, the BS in biology is a comprehensive program offering a broad-based degree. The program includes:
- 23 hours of required biology courses, including a senior capstone
- 28 hours of required courses in chemistry, physics and communication
- Four hour mathematics course
- Minimum of 16 hours of elective biology courses, including credit opportunities for internships, independent study and research projects
The minor in biology includes:
- 20 semester hours, including eight semester hours in required biology courses and 12 semester hours must be at the 2000-level or above. Students are welcome to take internship, independent study and research project courses, but they cannot be counted toward the minor.