Coronavirus (COVID-19) - 16 March 2020
16 March 2020
COVID-19 Advisory 8.0
A message from President Rebecca Sherrick:
At Aurora University, we believe in the “transformative power of learning.” We also are dedicated to making it possible for each student, regardless of life circumstances, to realize full educational potential. This means taking an individualized approach wherever possible, while also enjoying the benefits of working alongside one another in a learning community. These are the values that compel our academic decisions during this period of unprecedented uncertainty.
- AU will begin to provide online or remote instruction – in the place of classroom learning – on Wednesday 18 March 2020. We anticipate that the current designated period (Wednesday 18 March – Friday 3 April 2020) may be extended due to announcements by state and federal authorities. We may encounter some early confusion, but think this will work well overall. Be patient.
- The university is dedicated to helping prospective bachelor and advanced degree graduates complete their coursework on time for anticipated commencement ceremonies on Saturday 2 May 2020 at George Williams College and Sunday 3 May 2020 in Aurora. Here too, we recognize that the decisions of public authorities could change our plans for holding large gatherings on these two specific dates. We may need to postpone commencement or hold a series of smaller ceremonies. It is too early to share exact information on this, but we pledge to be flexible here too.
- We understand that AU students must now contend with rapidly changing life circumstances. You may have school-age children at home now or may need to help an older relative. AU will extend the spring semester through the month of June for those who need extra time to complete their classwork.
- In addition, we may offer supplemental opportunities for students to return to the campus to work in a laboratory, perfect a method, or meet with a mentor.
- At present, our plans call for beginning summer session on time on Monday 4 May 2020. We will offer an extensive list of classes – more than we do most summers, in other words. We will provide these opportunities at a reduced rate to help our students stay on track.
Our hope is to begin the 2020 fall semester together – as one united university community, learning on-ground and online. We can’t wait to see our Spartans take the athletic field again and we wait with anticipation for the 2020-2021 academic year.
For now we are focused on the health and well-being of every one at AU.