For these types of students, danger is everywhere, even though what makes students anxious is often unknown. Conflict and uncertainty are primary causes of anxiety. Unknown and unfamiliar situations raise their anxiety; high and unreasonable self-expectations increase anxiety also. These students often have trouble making decisions.
- Let them discuss their feelings and thoughts. This alone often relieves a great deal of pressure.
- Reassure when appropriate.
- Remain calm.
- Be clear and explicit.
- Refer to Counseling Services and explain to the student that the counselor will simply work with them to help determine what they want that would make them feel calmer and will develop a plan to help them achieve this.
- Make things more complicated.
- Take responsibility for their emotional state.
- Overwhelm with information or ideas.