Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse, Child Sexual Abuse and Child Neglect
All University employees 1 are mandated reporters under the Illinois Abused and Neglected Children’s Reporting Act. Mandated reporters are required to immediately report to the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) suspected child abuse and/or neglect when they have “reasonable cause to believe” that a child known to them in their professional or official capacity may be an abused or neglected child. This is done by calling the DCFS Hotline at 1-800-252-2873 or 1-800-25ABUSE.
- A “child” means any person under the age of 18 years, unless legally emancipated.
- “Abused child" means a child whose parent or immediate family member, any person responsible for the child's welfare, any individual residing in the same home as the child or a paramour of the child's parent:
- Inflicts, causes to be inflicted, or allows to be inflicted upon such child physical injury, by other than accidental means, which causes death, disfigurement, impairment of physical or emotional health or loss or impairment of any bodily function;
- Creates a substantial risk of physical injury to such child by other than accidental means which would be likely to cause death, disfigurement, impairment of physical or emotional health or loss or impairment of any bodily function;
- Commits or allows to be committed any sex offense against such child;
- Commits or allows to be committed an act or acts of torture upon such child;
- Inflicts excessive corporal punishment;
- Commits or allows to be committed the offense of female genital mutilation;
- Causes to be sold, transferred, distributed or given to such child under 18 years of age, a controlled substance, except for controlled substances that are prescribed and dispensed to such child in a manner that substantially complies with the prescription; or
- Commits or allows to be committed the offense of involuntary servitude, involuntary sexual servitude of a minor or trafficking in persons.
There is no option for confidentiality in the case of suspected child abuse, child sexual abuse and/or child neglect. In other words, all mandated reporters with reasonable cause to believe that a child known to them in their professional capacities may be abused, sexually abused or neglected are required to contact DCFS. Mandated reporters must also notify the Title IX Coordinator that a DCFS report has been made.
 University volunteers having regular contact with minors are also Mandated Reporters.