Professional Tutor - Nursing
Aurora University seeks talented staff and administrators who are passionate about supporting an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers, and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University is an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning. As a teaching-centered institution, we encourage undergraduate and graduate students to discover what it takes to build meaningful and examined lives. We empower our students to achieve lasting personal and professional success.
- Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of university business.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide student support through scheduled appointments, workshops and drop-in sessions.
- Utilize effective tutoring and listening strategies to empower student tutees to determine content and pace of tutoring.
- Explore students’ individual learning preferences and work to develop active learning and study strategies that are appropriate for their needs and optimizes their learning.
- Follow the tutor cycle, utilize open-ended questions and goal setting to diagnose student tutoring/skill development needs and monitor progress
- Communicate with faculty to ensure continuity for students related to specific course expectations and discussions during tutoring sessions.
- Collaborate with other faculty/staff to design and deliver workshops, presentations and specialized group tutoring.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of students.
- Ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner verbally and in writing to students and decipher comprehension during tutoring sessions.
- Assists the director in fulfilling other duties as assigned.
- Participate in professional development activities to improve tutorial skills.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s in Nursing - Required
- Registered Nurse
- Experience in higher education strongly preferred
- Tutoring experience strongly preferred
- Able to utilize excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen with empathy and respect, communicate clearly, and convey courtesy, patience, sincerity and a desire to help.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and faculty, characterized by cooperation, flexibility, reliability, and personal responsibility.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Able to interact with diverse personalities and populations with respect and sensitivity.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office and Zoom
- Evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Applicants will be placed into a pool for future openings.
- Sitting or standing at desk/worktable with student(s); moving about the office; moving about the campus.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references including name, telephone, and email address.
If you were referred by a current employee of Aurora University please include the name of the employee in your submission.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.