Professional Tutor (Part-Time, 9 month position)
Aurora University seeks talented staff and administrators who are passionate about supporting an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
Tutoring Areas of Emphasis at Aurora University: Academic Coaching, Biology/Chemistry, Math, Writing
Position Purpose: The Professional Tutor supports learning by assisting with academic strategies to support students’ academic success. As students strive to reach their academic goals, the main responsibility of a tutor is to help the student in becoming a more independent, engaged and confident learner. Tutors provide individual and/or group tutoring to students across a broad range of courses based on the tutor’s area of expertise. Tutors meet with students to clarify and review concepts taught in class, explain processes, provide tools to enhance their application and analyzation of course content. This is a 9-month position working approximately 20 hours per week on the main campus in the Academic Support Center.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers, and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of university business.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide support through scheduled appointments, workshops and drop-in sessions.
- Utilize effective tutoring and listening strategies to empower student tutees to determine content and pace of tutoring.
- Explore students’ individual learning preferences and work to develop active learning and study strategies that are appropriate for their needs and optimizes their learning.
- Follow the tutor cycle, utilize open-ended questions and goal setting to diagnose student tutoring/skill development needs and monitor progress.
- Help students in academic coaching program with learning strategies, academic reading, organization, study skills and alignment of their academic priorities.
- Assist with outreach and follow-up with students who receive Academic Alerts to provide additional academic support.
- Communicate with faculty to ensure continuity for students related to specific course expectations and discussions during tutoring sessions.
- Collaborate with other faculty/staff to design and deliver workshops, presentations and specialized group tutoring.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of students.
- Ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner verbally and in writing to students and decipher comprehension during tutoring sessions.
- Participate in professional development activities to improve tutorial skills.
- SPECIFY YOUR AREA(S) OF INTEREST IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL APPLICATION. Areas of emphasis are Academic Coaching, Biology/Chemistry, Math and Writing.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Master's degree in appropriate discipline
- Experience in higher education strongly preferred
- Tutoring experience strongly preferred
- Able to utilize excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen with empathy and respect, communicate clearly, and convey courtesy, patience, sincerity and a desire to help.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and faculty, characterized by cooperation, flexibility, reliability, and personal responsibility.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Able to interact with diverse personalities and populations with respect and sensitivity.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office and Zoom
- Evening and weekend hours will be required.
- This position does not work remotely.
- Sitting or standing at desk/worktable with student(s); moving about the office; moving about the campus.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.