Professional Tutor – Math
Aurora University seeks talented staff and administrators who are passionate about supporting an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
The Professional Tutor supports learning by assisting with academic strategies to support students’ academic success. As students strive to reach their academic goals, the main responsibility of a tutor is to help the student in becoming a more independent, engaged, and confident learner. Math tutors provide individual and group tutoring to students across a broad range of math courses. Tutors will also conduct review sessions (recitations) for college algebra and/or statistics. Tutors meet with students to clarify and review concepts taught in class, explain processes, and provide tools to enhance their application and analysis of course content. This is a 9-month position working approximately 10-20 hours per week.
This is a continuous open posting, the opportunity may not be available for immediate placement; however, we encourage you to apply for future consideration. We will contact you when the opportunity arises.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers, and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University is an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning. As a teaching-centered institution, we encourage undergraduate and graduate students to discover what it takes to build meaningful and examined lives. We empower our students to achieve lasting personal and professional success.
- Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of university business.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide support through scheduled appointments, recitations, and drop-in sessions.
- Utilize effective tutoring and listening strategies to empower student tutees to determine content and pace of tutoring.
- Explore students’ individual learning preferences and work to develop active learning and study strategies that are appropriate for their needs and optimizes their learning.
- Follow the tutor cycle, utilize open-ended questions and goal setting to diagnose student tutoring/skill development needs, and monitor progress.
- Assist with outreach and follow-up with students who receive academic alerts to provide additional academic support.
- Communicate with faculty to ensure continuity for students related to specific course expectations and discussions during tutoring sessions.
- Collaborate with other faculty/staff to design and deliver recitations, exam reviews, and specialized group tutoring.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of students.
- Ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner verbally and in writing to students and decipher comprehension during tutoring sessions.
- Participate in professional development activities to improve tutorial skills.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Master's degree or higher in math or other math-based science (e.g. engineering, statistics) required.
- Experience in higher education is strongly preferred.
- Able to utilize excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen with empathy and respect, communicate clearly, and convey courtesy, patience, sincerity, and a desire to help.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and faculty, characterized by cooperation, attention to detail, flexibility, reliability, efficiency, and personal responsibility.
- Able to interact with diverse personalities and populations with respect and sensitivity.
- Able to utilize technology effectively.
- Sitting or standing at desk/worktable with student(s); moving about the office; moving about the campus.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references including name, telephone, and email address.
If you were referred by a current employee of Aurora University please include the name of the employee in your submission.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.