Health Services Staff Nurse (10 month-Full-Time)
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Health Services Nurse is responsible for providing routine professional nursing services and delivery of health/wellness education to the campus community that enhances student learning and success by promoting, protecting and restoring student health and well-being. This is a 10-month, full-time position, working August 1st - May 31st.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform independent nursing assessments (medical history and physical exam); provides nursing diagnosis and initiates treatment based on physician approved protocols.
- Performs limited laboratory procedures.
- Refers students to appropriate disciplines, community centers and local health care providers as condition warrants.
- Teaches wellness strategies, disease prevention and healthy lifestyle choices to individuals and/or groups based on campus community needs.
- Develops ongoing education programs in coordination with Director of Health Services.
- Performs quality control measures routinely on medical devices/testing kits.
- Assists with maintenance of treatment room supplies.
- Reviews health/immunization records for compliance with State of Illinois Immunization law.
- Handles confidential information with tact, discretion and compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Supervises Health Services student worker front desk support.
- Oversees and supports various administrative projects, as need arises, and as assigned by Director of Health Services.
- Confidence in prioritizing college student health needs; making quick decisions when necessary, and changing task direction to manage emerging situations.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Current license as a Registered Professional Nurse in the State of Illinois along with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing is required. Masters of Science in Nursing degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years nursing experience within College Health or related area (ambulatory care, emergency or adolescent medicine) is essential.
- Must have good interpersonal, organization and communication skills and the ability to work independently.
- Strong interest in providing health/wellness education and development of health education materials.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Publisher) and ability to create and maintain documents that support work functions.
- Ability to see, hear, speak and move freely about Health Services and around campus is required.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.