Aurora University seeks talented staff and administrators who are passionate about supporting an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
Position Purpose: The Graduate Assistant supports the Athletics department and coaching staff with carrying out assigned responsibilities for the designated athletics function/program.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers, and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University is an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning. As a teaching-centered institution, we encourage undergraduate and graduate students to discover what it takes to build meaningful and examined lives. We empower our students to achieve lasting personal and professional success.
- Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of university business.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supports the Head Coach by carrying out assigned responsibilities.
- Coaches the position(s) or segments necessary as directed by the head coach.
- Recruits individual student-athletes or territories as directed by the head coach.
- Understands and follows NCAA and conference rules and regulations. Follows NCAA recruitment rules as outlined in Bylaw 13 in the NCAA Division Ill Manual. Reports any alleged violations of NCAA, conference, or institutional rules and regulations.
- Assists student-athletes and their parents in understanding the educational programs and opportunities at Aurora University as well as the opportunities in the athletic program. Answers questions to aid in the in understanding of NCAA Division Ill rules related to recruitment.
- Keeps informed of contemporary trends, tactics, techniques, and strategies, which includes developing a philosophy of what to teach and how to implement.
- Assists in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of practices as necessary.
- Maintains self-control and poise; provides an example of sportsmanlike conduct for team members, officials, opponents, and spectators.
- Maintains professional relationships with student-athletes on the team in which they instruct.
- Drives university or rental vehicles as needed for away contests.
- Performs special and/or additional duties as required by the Director of Athletics.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of three years related experience with evidence of successful coaching, playing, and/or recruiting experience in the sport required.
- Experience coaching at the collegiate level preferred.
- Admission to the graduate program is required.
- A valid driver's license and driving record which meets institutional requirements is required.
- Evening and weekend availability is required.
- Flexibility with an evolving work environment is important.
- Physical ability to endure physically strenuous work-outs and physical exercise on a daily basis, including standing and/or walking for long periods, bending, stooping, lifting; manual dexterity; lifting of up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to move about campus and between locations.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references including name, telephone, and email address.
If you were referred by a current employee of Aurora University please include the name of the employee in your submission.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.