Campus Public Safety Dispatcher
Aurora University seeks talented staff and administrators who are passionate about supporting an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
Position Purpose: The Campus Public Safety Dispatcher supports learning by reliably and effectively answering calls for service and communicating with Campus Public Safety staff, University personnel, and other internal and external members of the community. This position monitors alarms, access control and video security systems, and uses those systems to disseminate information in a timely manner. Maintains basic records associated with daily shift activities, and performs data entry of incident reports, parking records and other department information in an accurate and timely manner. This position provides an essential role in maintaining a safe campus by initiating procedures to protect life, prevent injury, protect property, and initiate emergency notifications by clearly transmitting or communicating secure/confidential information via the University campus emergency radio system, telephone system or in person.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers, and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of university business.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Monitor the campus public safety emergency base radio and other radio systems in the dispatch center.
- Address all calls for service; dispatch calls efficiently according to nature of the call.
- Conduct Law Enforcement Agency Data System (LEADS) inquiries, coordinated and conducted through the City of Aurora Police Department 911 Center and in house LEADS system.
- May act as the emergency communication liaison between Aurora University and Federal, State, County, and Local, Public Safety agencies.
- Provide general reception to visitors, students, faculty and staff, who enter the Department of Campus Public Safety.
- Complete data entry for Campus Public Safety.
- May oversee the student workforce assigned to Campus Public Safety dispatch center.
- Issue parking permits, maps and university identification cards.
- Shift-related functions: Each shift will have an assigned dispatcher. Each dispatcher will be given additional duties by the Director or Designee, which may include a multitude of office functions and data management.
- Monitor University electronic door access system.
- Monitor campus video systems.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree, or a minimum of 3 years of police dispatch or records experience, preferred.
- Previous experience preferred in a fast-paced customer service role in public safety environment.
- Required to obtain and maintain LEADS certification within two months of employment.
- A working knowledge of appropriate federal, state and local laws including the Campus Security act of 1997 and the Jeannine Clery Act.
- Ability work accurately and efficiently with and without direct supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively.
- Ability to interpret, and apply, rules and regulations accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to multi task.
- Successfully pass a thorough background investigation, a polygraph examination, and a pre-employment drug screening.
- Must be able to maintain LEADS certification.
- Ability to utilize computer.
- Ability to interact verbally, electronically, and via telephone and two-way radio.
- This position requires working: rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, on-call and overtime as needed.
- In the event of an emergency or crisis, may be called in to work or held over until released by the Director of Campus Public Safety or his/her designee.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.