Dispatcher for Campus Public Safety
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
This starting pay for this position is $20.00 per hour. In addition, a sign on bonus of $500 will be paid at hire, with an additional bonus of $500 paid after 12 months of employment.
Position Purpose: The Dispatcher for Campus Public Safety supports learning by reliably and effectively answering calls for service and communicating with Campus Public Safety police officers and staff, University personnel, and other internal and external members of the community. This position provides an essential role in maintaining a safe campus by initiating procedures to protect life, prevent injury, protect property, and initiate emergency notifications by clearly transmitting or communicating secure/confidential information via the University campus emergency radio system, telephone system or in person.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Monitor the campus public safety emergency base radio and other radio systems in the dispatch center.
- Address all calls for service; dispatch calls efficiently according to nature of the call.
- Conduct Law Enforcement Agency Data System (LEADS) inquiries, coordinated and conducted through the City of Aurora Police Department 911 Center and in house LEADS system.
- May act as the emergency communication liaison between Aurora University and Federal, State, County, and Local, Public Safety agencies.
- Provide general reception to visitors, students, faculty and staff, who enter the Department of Campus Public Safety.
- Complete data entry for Campus Public Safety.
- May oversee the student workforce assigned to Campus Public Safety dispatch center.
- Issue parking permits, maps and university identification cards.
- Shift-related functions: Each shift will have an assigned dispatcher. Each dispatcher will be given additional duties by the Director or Designee, which may include a multitude of office functions and data management.
- Monitor University electronic door access system.
- Monitor campus video systems.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years of police dispatch experience; Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Previous dispatcher experience required in a fast-paced role in police department or public safety office.
- A working knowledge of appropriate federal, state and local laws including the Campus Security act of 1997 and the Jeannine Clery Act.
- Ability work accurately and efficiently with and without direct supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively.
- Ability to interpret, and apply, rules and regulations accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to multi task.
- Full-time position, shift work required. The Campus Public Safety office is open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. This position requires working: rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, on-call and overtime as needed.
- Required to obtain and maintain Law Enforcement Agencies Data System (LEADS) certification within two months of employment.
- Successfully pass a thorough background investigation, a polygraph examination, and pre-employment drug screening.
- Ability to utilize computer.
- Ability to interact verbally, electronically, and via telephone and two-way radio.
- In the event of an emergency or crisis, may be called in to work or held over until released by the Director of Campus Public Safety or his/her designee.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.