Safety and Security
Commencement ceremonies are festive occasions at Aurora University. Our trustees, faculty, and staff cherish the opportunity to welcome family and friends of graduates to campus for these special celebrations. Each year, the AU community works to ensure that graduation festivities are joyous, memorable, and safe. To that end, special security measures will be in place at Commencement.
Please be aware of the following information and regulations:
- Every guest who enters the Quadrangle must have a ticket, including infants and children. Forged, reprinted, or digital tickets will not be honored. The Quadrangle will be fenced around the perimeter of the Commencement tent.
- Those arriving without tickets will not be allowed on campus and will be asked to leave. Family and friends without tickets are encouraged to view the live stream of the ceremony from off-campus at aurora.edu/commencement.
- Out of respect for each graduate and their families, all graduates and their guests are expected to stay until the end of the ceremony.
- For the protection of all graduates and guests, everyone entering the venues will be subject to screening. This will include the use of metal detectors and the inspection of bags. P4 Security Solutions (security staff contracted by the university) will conduct bag checks and related security inspections to ensure the safety of all graduates, guests, faculty, and staff. Please allow extra time to go through the metal detectors and be seated. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Access to guest seating will begin at:
- 7:30 a.m. for the 9 a.m. Graduate Ceremony
- Noon for the 2 p.m. Undergraduate Ceremony
- Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: Airhorns, noise makers, backpacks, beach balls, inflatables, balloons, firearms, knives over 3” in length, explosives, fireworks, sparklers, animals (with the exception of service animals), large bags/purses, alcohol, cigarettes, vaping devices, and illegal drugs.
- For safety reasons, strollers are not permitted under the tent. A designated area for strollers will be available for drop off, but the university is not responsible for stroller items.