Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.POSITION PURPOSE: The Telecommunications Specialist supports learning by providing telecommunication services for Aurora University. This position provides communication capabilities between staff, faculty, and students located at all Aurora University locations.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service. Learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of university business.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Support AT&T Centrix system.
- Utilize remote management tools.
- Working knowledge of telecommunication architecture such as VoIP, PRI, PBX, and POTS.
- Knowledge of how to analyze telecom billing data to establish a base line.
- Cross-connect wiring.
- Perform installation and relocation requests in accordance with client move/add/change processes and procedures.
- Programs telecommunications equipment as necessary for additions, changes, and deletions (MAC).
- Able to work in both inside plant and outside plant environments.
- Recommends purchases, installs, tests, and maintains all telecom equipment, station apparatus, cable plant, and auxiliary telecom equipment for Aurora University.
- Coordinates communication with vendors regarding telecommunications systems.
- Analyzes telecommunications systems and recommends improvements to increase performance and/or reduce operation costs.
- Designs cable plant needs for new structures or remodeling to existing buildings.
- Responsible for inventory of telecommunication supplies.
- Maintain E911 database and other appropriate telecommunication databases/systems.
- Provide programming and maintenance on the voice switch, voice mail system, auto attendant systems, and traffic monitoring system.
- Create and update documentation for the telephone and voicemail systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in telecommunications, information systems, or related field.
- Three years’ experience in managing a PBX infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of a PBX and voice mail systems
- Working experience with NEC switch hardware preferred.
- Experience working (installing/terminating) with low voltage wiring such as CAT 3/5E/6, 100 pair, fiber, and coaxial.
- Have dial tone knowledge and able to troubleshoot problems.
- Working knowledge of network infrastructures.
- Working knowledge of Windows Servers and Microsoft Office products.
- Experience working with telecommunication vendors.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, climb stairs and ladders, move about campus, and walk hilly terrain.
- Ability to work in awkward positions (bending, stooping, crawling under desks).
- Occasional travel to alternate university sites.
Health, dental, life, contributions to 403(b), and tuition remission included. Please submit resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.