Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: Aurora University supports its students and recent graduates by offering the opportunity to continue their relationship with the University through a specific work assignment with Campus Public Safety as a dispatcher. This opportunity allows for him/her to gain valuable experience to assist them with future career goals. The Campus Public Safety Dispatcher supports learning by receiving and clearly transmitting secure/confidential information via the University campus emergency radio system, telephone system or in person, to Campus Public Safety staff and University personnel.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Monitor the campus public safety emergency base radio and other radio systems in the dispatch center.
- Address all calls for service; dispatch calls accordingly to officers or command staff on duty.
- Conduct Law Enforcement Agency Data System (LEADS) inquiries, coordinated and conducted through the City of Aurora Police Department 911 Center and in house LEADS system.
- May act as the emergency communication liaison between Aurora University and Federal, State, County, and Local, Public Safety agencies.
- Provide general reception to visitors, students, faculty and staff, who enter the Department of Campus Public Safety.
- Complete data entry for Campus Public Safety.
- May oversee the student workforce assigned to Campus Public Safety dispatch center.
- Issue parking permits, maps and university identification cards.
- Shift-related Functions: Each shift will have an assigned dispatcher. Each dispatcher will be given additional duties by the Director or Designee, they will include some or all of the following but are subject to change: Compiling roll call briefing information for sergeants; Dispatching; Data entry; Issuing university ID's; Issuing parking permits; Training student workers; Recording tickets issued by the department; and Law Enforcement Surplus Officer (LESO Coordinator).
- Performs all other duties as necessary or assigned.
Essential Job Requirements:
- AU recent graduate with cumulative GPA of 3.0 of higher preferred. Bachelor's degree required.
- Experience in customer service and public safety environment preferred.
- LEADS certification required within two months of employment.
- Knowledge of campus regulations in connection with student conduct; laws pertaining to juveniles; controlled substances and their effect upon behavior; customs and activities indicative of undesirable groups desired.
- A working knowledge of appropriate federal, state and local laws including the Campus Security act of 1997 desired.
- Ability to work cooperatively with faculty and staff.
- Ability to interpret rules and regulations.
- Ability to utilize computer.
- Ability to interact verbally, electronically, and via telephone and two-way radio.
- This position requires working: rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, on-call and overtime as needed.
- In the event of an emergency or crisis, may be called in to work or held over until released by the Director of Campus Public Safety or his/her designee.
Health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, generous contributions to a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA CREF, and tuition remission included for benefit eligible positions. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.