The Director of Special Education endorsement prepares teachers, administrators and other professionals for administrative roles in the special education field, an area of highest need for qualified professionals seeking employment in area school districts.
As of February 1, 2012, candidates seeking an endorsement as Director of Special Education must have:
- A current teaching certificate, or Type 73 certificate
- An Administrative Certificate (Type 75)
- 30 semester hours covering six distribution areas within special education*
- Two years full-time experience in a special education services area (can include social work, school psychology, and speech/ language pathology)
- Completion of at least 12 semester hours of required special education director courses
Required Core Courses for Director of Special Education
- SPED 6660 Supervisor of Programs for Children with Disabilities
- SPED 6670 Special Education Finance
- SPED 6680 School Leadership & the Law for Special Populations
- SPED 6690 Cross-Categorical Special Education Programming & Assessment
Candidates seeking the endorsement must also pass the Director of Special Education exam #180.
*A transcript review by the program chair will determine if previous coursework has been met or if the candidate needs additional hours.
The Director of Special Education Endorsement is offered in a cohort format with cooperating districts or ROE's. Classes are also offered on the Aurora University campus and the Aurora University Woodstock Center in Woodstock, Illinois. Please contact Marcia Gaspari 630-844-4643 or firstname.lastname@example.org for admission information.