SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 to be considered.
- Earned approximately 60 semester hours prior to beginning the required social-work course work.
- Complete the following required supportive liberal-arts courses or their equivalent: PSC 2110: U.S. Government; PSY 1100: General Psychology; and SOC 1100: Principles of Sociology.
- Have career goals consistent with the B.S.W. program's philosophy and curriculum.
- A commitment to high standards of personal and professional conduct, as reflected in the NASW Code of Ethics.
Applicants to the B.S.W. program must submit the completed B.S.W. application and Statement of Purpose to the School of Social Work. Before applying to the B.S.W. program, students must be admitted to Aurora University.
Frequently Asked Questions School of Social Work
- Do I need an Associates of Arts (A.A.) or Associates of Science (A.S.) Degree?
Applicants do not need to have earned an A.A. degree or an A.S. degree to gain admission to the B.S.W. program. Students who have not earned either of these degrees must meet the university's general education graduation requirements.
- Can I apply to the B.S.W. program prior to completing my sophomore year or 60 semester hours?
Students can apply and be accepted into the B.S.W. program if they plan on completing 60 semester hours prior to beginning the required social work course work. Students who will have completed slightly fewer semester hours prior to beginning the social work required course will be accepted provided they are willing to develop a plan to complete these hours during the summer term between their junior and senior years.
- What if my cumulative grade point average is below the require 2.5 on a 4.0 point scale?
Students, who have a cumulative grade point average slightly below the required minimum can be accepted into the B.S.W. program conditionally provided the Admissions Committee believes that the student has a good chance of succeeding academically. Students accepted on a conditional basis must earn a minimum of an "A" or "B" grade in their first two required social work courses during their first term in the program to gain full acceptance.
- Can I transfer social work courses into the university and have them apply to the required social work coursework?
Only courses taken in an academic institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education can be used to meet required social work course work. These courses must be between five and six years old. Advanced upper level social work classes cannot transfer as social work courses at AU.
- I have an Associate's of Applied Science (A.A.S) in Human Service, how will this degree transfer?
Aurora University will not accept an A.A.S. A course by course evaluation will be done on the courses taken in the A.A.S. Human Service courses may not transfer in or may transfer as electives. Students should provide the syllabi for the Human Service courses they have taken.
If you have questions about transferring into the School of Social Work, please contact Brenda Barnwell at 630-844-5421 or email@example.com.
Office of Admission and Financial AidEckhart Hall 201
347 S. Gladstone Ave.
Aurora, IL 60506