We will guide you through the ISBE certification process and help you prepare for the Illinois Basic Skills and Illinois School Social Work tests. Most students complete the certification requirements in one year or less.
- A completed Graduate Application for Admission
- Transcripts (official, sealed in envelope) from all prior undergraduate and graduate colleges and/or universities. Aurora University accepts official electronic transcripts at AU-ETranscripts@aurora.edu
- Master of Social Work degree from a CSWE-approved program with an average GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. Students with a GPA of less than 2.75 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional or academic abilities
- Test of Academic Proficiency (400); passing score required
*Students may opt to take the ACT Plus writing subtest and earn a 22 composite score on the exam to qualify for a waiver of the TAP.
- School Social Work Content Exam (184); passing score required
The program must be completed within four consecutive semesters from the first semester after being officially accepted into the endorsement program. You are not required, but are encouraged to enroll in elective course offerings related to school social work practice as a means of rounding out your training experience.
To earn the endorsement, you must successfully complete the following courses and maintain a 3.0 grade-point average:
- SWK6430 School Social Work Certification Course (3)
- SWK5610 Social Work Practice with the Exceptional Child (3 semester hours)
- SWK6670 Post MSW — Type 73 Advanced Field Instruction (minimum of 600 clock hours in the field) (3)
- OEDO5018 Reading Methods K-12 SSP (1)
- OEDO5019 Reading Content K-12 SSP (1)
We believe that the student should play a vital role in determining his/her field placement. We will help you select an internship site and maintain contact information with partner schools. If you have experience in relevant areas, our social work coordinator will meet with you to determine if the experience is applicable. Placements should be arranged before you register for SWK6430; Most students make internship arrangements in January.