Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Residence Hall Director is a live-in staff member who is responsible for creating a living/learning environment within the assigned residence hall/area. This person is responsible for the daily operation of the hall by coordinating efforts with the Resident Assistants, the Assistant Director of Residence Life, and the Assistant Dean for Residence Life.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervises 4-10 Resident Assistants assigned to the residence hall/area. Provides regular individual and group supervision, and completes written evaluations each semester.
- Establishes and maintains community with students living in the residence hall/area through individual contacts and group interactions.
- Enforces policies and procedures which establish a safe and secure living situation. Effectively communicates concerning situations to supervisor(s).
- Serves as a Disciplinary hearing Officer for Judicial Affairs in addressing alleged policy violations.
- Provides administrative leadership in the assigned residence hall/area, including knowledge of occupancy, overseeing a key inventory, tracking area community development/programming initiatives, etc.
- Maintains a high level of awareness regarding the facilities of the assigned residence hall/area, including forwarding and tracking work orders, overseeing the damage process for the residence hall/area, and maintaining accurate records.
- Possibly performs a collateral assignment, as directed by the Assistant Dean for Residence Life and Assistant Vice President for Student Life.
- Participates in rotating on-campus duty responsibilities in supervising the campus on weekends, weeknights and vacation periods, and during emergencies.
- Establishes positive working relationships with campus colleagues, such as Campus Public Safety, Counseling Center, Student Activities, Wellness Center, etc.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection, and training of Resident Assistants.
- Utilizes departmental assessment data to set action plans for their residence area, and assists in departmental planning.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Knowledge of higher education and student development principles, practices, and procedures.
- Prior Residence Life experience preferred.
- Effective oral/written communication, interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and excellent time management skills.
Health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, generous contributions to a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA CREF, and tuition remission included for benefit eligible positions. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.