Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Senior Accountant supports learning by providing accounting and analytical support for the Business Office. The Senior Accountant is responsible for a variety of complex aspects of university accounting which includes gifts and endowments, fixed assets and depreciation, annuities, estimates and accruals, and grant accounting. This position also provides assistance with financial statement, tax return, and internal reporting preparation.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintains analysis and records for endowments, annuities, and restricted gifts. Ensures that all transactions related to endowments, annuities and restricted gifts are assigned appropriate net asset classifications, gifts are recorded timely and accurately, and all related earnings are appropriately allocated according to donor agreements. Reconciles all endowment, restricted gift and annuity accounts.
- Maintains all fixed asset schedules and records, including capital expenditures, construction in progress, additions, disposals, depreciation expense and accumulated depreciation. Prepares journal entries to record depreciation expense, additions, deletions, and any release of capital funds from restriction. Reconciles all fixed asset related accounts.
- Responsible for the accounting of all investment and debt activity.
- Prepares endowment, fixed asset, investment and debt related schedules for financial statements, footnotes and tax returns.
- Assists in preparing monthly grant journal entries and reports; serves as backup to Assistant Controller.
- Reconciles bank accounts, investment accounts, debt and other balance sheet accounts as assigned.
- Assists the Controller with the accounting, reconciliations, and reporting for the university’s annual summer concert series, Music By The Lake.
- Assists with the preparation of monthly and quarterly internal financial reporting.
- Prepares all related client assisted work papers for year-end audit; assists with audit as needed. Assists with preparation of financial statements and tax returns as needed.
- Assists the Controller and Asst. Controller with special projects as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. CPA preferred.
- Three to five years of accounting experience required. Experience in higher education or other not-for-profit preferred.
- Strong analytical skills as required for account analysis and reconciliation. Proficient in use of accounting software, preferably Ellucian (formerly Datatel) Colleague. Expertise in Microsoft Office products including Word and Excel. Experience with complex usage of spreadsheet formulas, filters and pivot tables is required. Must be able to handle multiple priorities at one time and to effectively meet deadlines as required. Excellent oral and written communication, customer service and problem-solving skills. Ability to exercise good business judgment and make sound choices and to maintain an environment that ensures the strictest confidentiality of personnel and other university information. Reliable and dependable.
- Accountabilities: 1. Maintains a strong internal control environment, including adequate supporting documentation and appropriate levels of approval for all transactions. 2. Completes assigned tasks according to monthly, quarterly and annual deadlines. 3. Completes client assisted work papers by first day of audit fieldwork and tax return workpapers according to scheduled due dates. 4. Keeps University Controller and Asst. Controller advised on all significant developments. 5. Recommends changes to existing accounting procedures as needed. 6. Audits financial transactions for accuracy and conformance with established GAAP and university standards and procedures.
- Ability to interact verbally in person, over telephone and via written and electronic media. Ability to spend long periods of time at a computer station.
Health, dental, life, contributions to a 403(b), and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.