These requirements will apply to students enrolling at AU in the 2017-2018 academic year. Current students can find the requirements that apply to them by consulting the relevant academic catalog.
Core Requirements: 20 semester hours
- One genre course: ENG2200; ENG/THE2220 or ENG2240 (4)
Note: Creative writing students should take ENG2200 or ENG 2240.
- One American Literature course: ENG3320; ENG3350 or ENG3370 (4)
Note: Creative writing students should take ENG3370.
- One British literature course: ENG3400; ENG3420; ENG3440 or ENG3460 (4)
- One course in literature outside the Anglo-American canon: ENG3200; ENG3500; ENG 3510 or ENG3520 (4)
- One capstone course: ENG4990 (4)
English majors will also select one of three tracks within the program to complete requirements for the degree.
General Studies Emphasis: 20 semester hours
- One language course (4):
ENG2100 Linguistics; ENG3100 Stylistics; or ENG3550 Language, Literacy and Cognition
- One writing course (4):
ENG2060 Introduction to Creative Writing, ENG2400 Grammar and Composition for Teachers or ENG3020 Advanced Academic Writing
- One course in literary criticism (4):
ENG2260 Critical Approaches to Literature
- Eight additional hours of ENG courses, excluding ENG1000; ENG1060; ENG2010 and ENG/EDU3180
Creative Writing Emphasis: 20 semester hours
- ENG2060 Introduction to Creative Writing (4)
- ENG3060 Intermediate Fiction Writing (4)
- ENG3100 Stylistics (4)
- ENG3240 Intermediate Poetry Writing (4)
- ENG4060 Advanced Creative Writing (4)
Secondary Education Licensure Emphasis: 18 semester hours
- ENG2260 Critical Approaches to Literature (4)
- ENG2400 Grammar and Composition for Teachers (4)
- ENG3190 Multicultural Young Adult Literature (2)
- ENG3550 Language, Literacy, and Cognition (4)
- ENG3820 Secondary Methods in English (4)
Note: Secondary Education candidates will also complete the supplemental major in secondary education.