We are not currently accepting new applications for this program. Please contact the Office of Admission at 630-844-5533 or email@example.com for additional information.
Communication is one of the most versatile areas of study available at AU, leading to a wide range of exciting career opportunities. Corporate communication, public relations, journalism and media production are common job areas, but the list does not end there. Effective communication, writing and presentation skills are in demand across just about every area of the modern economy.
The study of human communication encompasses the scholarly traditions of both the humanities and social sciences, reaching back as far as Aristotle. The communication curriculum at AU is comprehensive, covering the main areas of the liberal arts discipline, but also allowing specialization in several key career areas. A primary component of the program is a required internship or practicum, which earns students real-world experience toward their chosen career path.
Outside of class, students can get involved in a number of student organizations and activities, including Lambda Pi Eta, the communication honors society and the student-run digital radio station.
The Aurora University Department of Communication offers two majors in the field of communication:
The department specializes in degree concentrations (along with minors) in the following areas:
- Speech Communication (for more information contact Dr. Toby Arquette or Prof. Brianne Giese)
- Strategic Communication: Public Relations & Advertising (for more information contact Dr. Kathleen Turner)
- Broadcast Media Production (Audio/Video - Radio/TV) (for more information contact Dr. Matt Kneller)
- Multimedia Journalism (for more information contact Prof. Heidi Schlumpf)
- Film Studies (for more information contact Dr. Pam Wicks or Dr. Gerald Butters)
- Graphic Design (for more information contact Dr. Pam Wicks)
In addition, the Department of Communication sponsors a number of co-curricular activities for students pursuing careers in the field of communication and media studies (contact the appropriate person for information about joining any of these groups):
- AU student media (including the student newspaper and student radio/tv studio) (learn more by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)
- Lambda Pi Eta (honors society for communication majors) (learn more by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org)
- American Marketing Association (jointly sponosored by the Marketing and Communication programs) (learn more by contacting email@example.com)
- Speech and Debate Team (Spartan Speech) (learn more by contactng firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)
- A large number of other experiential learning opportunities, such as internships for Communication and Media Studies majors (learn more by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)
For more information about the communication program, contact us.
Join our Facebook group to learn more about the department.