We strive to recruit a diverse group of students who have had relevant and significant work and life experiences, and who can relate to diverse and vulnerable populations. We consider factors relating to the applicant’s academic ability, work, service and extracurricular experience, especially as they relate to promotion and development of resilient communities, organizations, social groups, families and individuals.
Applicants to the DSW program should:
- Complete the online application for graduate admission.
- Have an MSW degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Submit proof of Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) credential (Illinois candidates only). Please list your license number on the application and in your resume. Non-Illinois candidates who do not hold a clinical license will have their clinical experience evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the DSW admission committee.
- Have an overall MSW G.P.A. of 3.0/4.0 scale.
- Have at least three years of post-MSW clinical social work experience.
- Submit three letters of recommendation from former professors, supervisors and other professionals who have had extensive knowledge or experience with your work
- Submit a writing sample in the area of Clinical Social Work Theory and Practice.
- Participate in a personal interview with the DSW Admissions Committee.
Submit all materials to:
Center for Adult and Graduate Studies
Eckhart Hall, Room 105
347 S. Gladstone Ave.
Aurora, IL 60506
Potential applicants should note that a criminal background may render them ineligible for a field internship, which is a requirement to complete the DSW program. We reserve the right to deny admission to the DSW program based on application materials, previous academic record and records of past conduct, including but not limited to, the results of a criminal background check or registration of a sex offense.
Your writing sample should consist of no more than 10 pages demonstrating understanding of clinical social work practice. This sample is not a research paper and does not have to be written in APA format or include references or a bibliography. The writing sample should be focused on understanding and experience in clinical social work practice. For example, you may write about a case you have had and how theory informed your work with the client(s). The writing sample will be evaluated for both writing ability and knowledge of clinical social work theory and practice.