These requirements will apply to students enrolling at AU in the 2017-2018 academic year. Current students can find the requirements that apply to them by consulting the relevant academic catalog.
The Bilingual/ESL Endorsement program provides you with the knowledge and skills necessary to meet the linguistic and academic needs of English Language Learners (ELLs). The program combines classroom study with on-the-job assignments that enable students to test theory against practical reality while meeting the state required 100 clinical hours.
The Bilingual/ESL Endorsement courses are offered at the graduate level. The 18 semester hours can be part of a Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction (MACI) with Bilingual/ESL Education or can stand alone as an endorsement on an educator license.
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) requires 18 semester hours for each endorsement and 100 hours of clinical experience. At Aurora University, the 18 semester hours in Bilingual/ESL Education meets the requirements for both endorsements. Those earning a Bilingual Endorsement must pass a language proficiency test in the target language. The test is administered by the Illinois Certification Testing System (ICTS) and required by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
Required Courses in Bilingual/ESL Education: 18 semester hours
EDU6110 Foundations for Language Minority Education (3)
EDU6120 Methods and Materials for Teaching ESL (3)
EDU6130 Cross-Cultural Studies for Teaching ELLs (3)
EDU6140 Assessment of Bilingual Students (3)
EDU6150 Linguistics for Teaching English Language Learners (3)
EDU6170 Methods and Materials for Teaching ELLs in Bilingual Programs (3)
All candidates seeking admission to the Bilingual/ESL Program must:
- Have a valid Illinois professional educator license (early childhood, elementary, secondary, special K-12 or preschool-age 21)
- A completed Graduate Application for Admission
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Official transcripts from institution of highest degree earned, any other graduate transcripts that may be considered for transfer credit* and/or original ECE or WES transcript evaluation. Aurora University accepts official electronic transcripts at AU-ETranscripts@aurora.edu.
- One letter of recommendation.
*Evaluation of transfer credits must be considered upon acceptance to the program.